The teen gunman accused of opening fire with a semi-automatic rifle at his former high school in Parkland,
Thursday Florida, has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, officials stated.
Authorities said the suspect, recognized as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, concealed himself in the audience Marjory that is fleeing Stoneman tall School following a massacre on Wednesday afternoon. He ended up being arrested in nearby Coral Springs.
Fourteen other people had been wounded, five with life-threatening injuries, hospital officials said.
Cruz had recently been expelled from Douglas for disciplinary reasons and was enrolled elsewhere in the district, the educational schools superintendent in Broward County, Robert Runcie, said. Cruz took an Uber to the Douglas campus on, Runcie told NBC News wednesday.
- 17 people were killed and another 14 had been wounded.
- Suspect recognized as Nikolas Cruz, who is faced with 17 counts of premeditated murder. Thursday he might appear in court.
- Cruz, 19, was considered to have used an AR-15 design rifle that is semi-automatic.
- Broward County Sheriff’s workplace set to put up a news conference at 10:30 a.m. Thursday ET.
- A YouTube individual named “Nikolas Cruz” apparently posted “I’m likely to be a school that is professional” on your website.
- President Donald Trump has tweeted that there have been signs which are”many Florida shooter ended up being mentally disturbed.” He shall deal with the country at 11 a.m. ET.
The gunman was believed to own been armed having an AR-15-style rifle that is semi-automatic numerous publications, said Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. It was unclear whether he previously just about any weapons, Israel said.
There was clearly no indication that the gunman had an accomplice or accomplices, federal and authorities being regional.
Cruz ended up being taken into custody off campus about an hour or so he described as “very disturbing. after he”committed this horrific, detestable work,” stated Israel, whom included detectives were reviewing social media marketing postings that” The suspect was treated for “labored breathing” as being a precaution but was later on released through the hospital, according to officials.
“You arrive at the conclusion this might be just evil that is positively pure” said Florida Gov. Rick Scott, his hands clutched over their chest.
The FBI had been alerted 6 months ago following a YouTube user named “Nikolas Cruz” posted a remark stating “I’m likely to be a college that is professional” on the movie website, BuzzFeed reported very early Thursday.